Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Day 16



Tonight I am thankful for our house. Ninety percent of the time it is messy. It's big, but constantly cluttered. It's covered in tiny to mid-size fingerprints and there are often kool-aid spills on the floor. Some rooms are drafty, others are stuffy. But even with all these faults, we've made this house our home. It's where my children play countless hours together. It's where we curl up on the couches and read as a family. It's where we join hands, pray and eat at the dinner table together. It's where numerous bumps, bruises, cuts and broken hearts have been held, bandaged and kissed back to health. It's where a ton of forts and easy bake cakes have been made and enjoyed. It's where memories made with friends and family have been made for seven years.

We spend a lot of time within these walls - more so than other families since we homeschool, I stay at home, and Kelly works nights. There are days when I feel so stir crazy that I just HAVE to get out of the house...if only to get a frappe from McDonald's. But it's also where I can come home after a weekend retreat with my girlfriends and have 4 children run down the porch steps to hug and kiss me and yell over each other to tell what all they did while I was gone. Kelly and I have our most important conversations on our couch at 1:30 in the morning when I've waited up for him to pour out my heart or share an exciting moment of the day with him. The furniture is showing wear, the water pressure is sometimes pitiful, the floors are needing replaced, and I need to clean more often. But I am thankful for all the things that make this old house our home.






No comments:

Post a Comment