Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day Weekend

What a great weekend we've had! It actually started Thursday for us, with the opening of Dove Season. We had friends here at the crack of dawn and back at dusk for four days straight; along with the sound of shotguns was the laughter and talk of good friends. The kids have always been our "bird dogs", chasing after our kills for us. But this year, the oldest ones of the bunch - Logan, Connor, Trey and Gavin - are now counted among the hunters. Yes, we still had them get our birds (which they love doing, by the way!), but they also got to tell the younger ones to go get theirs for them. It's a coming-of-age thing for rednecks like us! ;)

Switching gears, Connor and Chloe and I headed to their homeschool orchestra orientation Friday morning after hunting (I have to instill a little culture in them!). Chloe has decided on the violin, and Connor had to purchase a xylophone. He already has drums, but they require a year of bells first. He wasn't too thrilled to learn that, and I didn't really understand why, until we found the xylophone. All the time he'd been fretting and fussing about playing bells, he thought he'd be playing LITERAL hand bells! Once he understood that the glockenspiel and the cymbals would be a part of his training, he was much more excited. They are both happy and ready to start in two weeks.

Friday night was Logan's birthday party. Jason and Steph were taking the boys, and I took the girls. I had promised Molly a mani-pedi day for her birthday last month, so I took her, Chloe and Hannah Saturday morning. And of course, I couldn't let them have all the fun - I got my toes pampered, too!! :D

Saturday, we all came back together for the big feed of all our kills - we had over 75 doves, cooked three ways. I don't think any of us were disappointed! A night of good food, good friends, and crazy kiddos is always going to put a smile on my face!

Sunday, we decided to go visit our Evergreen family. It had been nine months since we had attended service there, and I really expected to feel a little out of place. However, it wasn't like that at all. It was nice to see so many friends and catch up, and Dr. Dutile gave a wonderful sermon that blessed my heart. It's definitely not the same church we left, but I think that's ok. The people are starting over, and it was good to feel so welcomed back, if only for a visit. We went out to lunch with our friends, Bart and April, to celebrate Briana's 9th birthday. They are all growing up way too fast!

That afternoon, my niece Molly Elizabeth, was baptized. Casey, my brother-in-law, did the honors. It was a beautiful thing to watch, and I couldn't be prouder of my Moo. Casey and Tiff came out to the house after, and we enjoyed more dove and more visiting. Bart and April came out for a bit, and we swapped kids for another sleepover - this time, we got the boys! Braden always does well playing with our little guys, and there's hardly any fighting among them when he's here. That's always a plus! ;) We stayed up late watching movies and decided not to hunt this morning. I was glad to have a day to sleep in!

Today was a gloriously lazy Labor Day - as I think they should be. While we usually spend it on the boat with my family, we just had too much planned this year over the weekend. While I missed being on the lake, I thoroughly enjoyed just lazing about the house and doing as I pleased. We hadn't really planned on taking the day off school, but we ended up doing so anyway.

We all slept in, had a late breakfast, and I got to enjoy reading practically all day long. I read Tim LaHaye's new book, "Thunder of Heaven", from COVER to COVER. Do you know how long it's been since I've had a day to do that??? Too long, let me tell ya! And it was excellent. Not only that, but we also took advantage of the beautifully cool temperature and took a run on the trail together. We got back and Kelly grilled brats, and I made mac & cheese and green beans for lunch. Then I went back to my book. I took some movies back to the Redbox and grabbed McDonald's for dinner. Then I went back to my book. I baked cookies, then I read some more. I just finished it about an hour ago, and I am ready to start another one! Alas, but tomorrow is back to the real world, where I have obligations and - ick - housework that needs doing. Plus, a really exciting day - Co-op starts back up tomorrow! YAY!!!!

So it's time to get off here and get the kids' baths done. We'll have to find first day of school outfits, backpacks and all the supplies. That way, we can have bible, math and Spanish before flying out the door at 11:30. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone, and I can't wait to hear how everyone's Labor Day weekend was. That includes you, too! How did you celebrate?

Blessings, Ammy

1 comment:

  1. My name is Keri, Hi! :) Im a newbie to your blog,but so far I am enjoying reading about your world. I can honestly say as a fellow redneck I have never eaten dove, but plenty of deer and gator ;) I am also trying to get motivated with our new school year routine, but yawn my lazy 3 day weekend has me just wanting to keep extending that lol! I honestly didn't do as much as you, pretty much rested around the house, we went fishing Saturday, and grilled out ,but that was abut it.
    anyways love your blog :)

    Keri~ A Hs'in Mom Loving that homeschool curriculum isn't just black and white

    ReplyDelete