Friday, June 10, 2016

A TOS Review: Shiloh Run Press

The Glass Castle {Shiloh Run Press Review}

My daughter Chloe and I are both voracious readers. We love to be immersed in new worlds, new adventures, and new friendships. Because, let's face it, characters in books you love really do become a part of you! That's why I was excited to review a young reader's book co-written by one of my favorite authors of all time that I could share with Chloe. The Glass Castle by Trisha White Priebe and Jerry B. Jenkins from Shiloh Run Press did not disappoint!


It is Avery's thirteenth birthday. She and her little brother, Henry, are out for a walk in their woods when the day takes a frightening turn. Chased, captured, and separated from Henry, Avery struggles to figure out just what has happened and why. She becomes more confused when she is unloaded and taken to a mysterious castle where she finds rooms full of other thirteen year olds. There is one big difference between her and the other children, though - she is the only one who is not an orphan. After just a short time in the castle, Avery discovers something that she has no way to explain: she knows the complete layout of the castle! From stories her missing mother used to tell her, to the elaborate tree house her father built for her, Avery realizes she knows much more about the castle than even her new friend, Kate, can understand. But why, and how? The Glass Castle will take you into a world where orphaned thirteen year olds become silent and invisible servants in a castle that has no idea the children are even there. Who has brought them here? What is the king trying to hide? What does the soon to be new queen have to do with it all? And most importantly, what in the world does Avery have to do with it all?

Chloe read this book in just two sittings. She absolutely was drawn into the story and couldn't put it down. It was a quick read (251 pages, written at an upper elementary level) and truly left her wanting more. She was taken aback when she realized it was a series - the book ends in quite the cliffhanger! - and the next installment, Ruby Moon, isn't going to be released until October! I read it as well, and it has given us many discussions of what we think is going to happen next!

We have already recommended this book to others. There is no language or inappropriate themes you have to worry about. It is a very refreshing thing to pick up a book for my thirteen year old and not have to be concerned about the content. There is plenty of mystery and intrigue to keep the attention of boys or girls, and every chapter leaves you anticipating what comes next.



Here are some questions I had Chloe answer from her perspective!

  • What did you think of the book overall? It was very mysterious and intriguing. I wanted to finish it to find the answers...but I didn't want it to end!
  • Was there a character that you personally related to? If not, who was your favorite character? My favorite character was Kendrick. He was the boy who arrived at the castle the same day as Avery. He wasn't a big part of the story until he was chosen by Tuck to be his Advisor. I don't think I really related to anyone in particular, but I found many of them interesting.
  • What age level would you recommend this book? Thirteen! :) Probably ages 10 through 15 would enjoy the book. Any younger would probably have a hard time following the twists and turns. But, Mom, you said you loved it, too! (I did!) So I guess all ages!
  • What did you like and dislike about the book? I liked that Avery had a secret admirer. It gave us something lighthearted to think about even when we know that they are prisoners and dealing with heavy adult mysteries. This showed that they were still kids!  I didn't like the whole escape scene chapter. I didn't think it added to the whole overall story...it just complicated things for the reader and the characters!\
  • Compared to other books you've read, how did this story stack up? I liked it a lot. It's not my favorite book, but I can't wait to continue the story in October! I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys mysteries. If you don't like cliffhangers, don't start it until the next book comes out!
I was very pleased with this book. Jerry B. Jenkins is one of my favorites, and I was glad to see his collaborative efforts with his assistant, Trisha White Priebe. This book would be a great summer read for middle schoolers, or a fascinating read aloud for the entire family!

Shiloh Run Press is a division of Barbour Publishing. To follow them on social media, click the links below:


To see what other reviewers thought about The Glass Castle, check them out here:


The Glass Castle {Shiloh Run Press Review}


Crew Disclaimer


No comments:

Post a Comment