Wednesday, April 20, 2016

A TOS Review: A+ Interactive Math

Math Mini-Courses {A+ Interactive Math Review}


It's great to see your kids succeed. But there will be times in this homeschooling journey when your child will hit a wall. It may not seem like a major issue, but down the road, you may see it really become a problem. That's why I was glad to hear about and have the chance to review the new Math Mini-Courses from A+ Interactive Math.

Canon has always done well in math. He's flown through his lessons with very little help from me. But I noticed this year that he was struggling. It wasn't every section, just one: multiplication and division of decimals and fractions. He just couldn't understand why multiplying would give you a smaller number! I know from years of doing math how significant it is to understand these confusing problems. The thing with math is that each new concept builds upon the last and prepares you for the next concept. So when we had the opportunity to check out A Plus's new mini courses, I knew exactly which one I'd have Canon use.

The Math Mini Courses are not a full year curriculum, as you could guess from the name. It is an intensive lesson plan focusing on a key component that your child is needing more help in. Canon reviewed the Decimal Numbers course, and Caleb reviewed the Time course.


Math Mini-Courses {A+ Interactive Math Review}


Canon's course contained 20 different lessons, covering the many properties and uses of decimals. The first lessons were pretty basic, information he already understood. But I had him do them anyway, explaining that he may have missed something earlier that could help him. Canon told me this:

"It was a fairly easy curriculum. If you got a question wrong in the Interactive Q & A, it would explain it to you. Then you could go back to the question and do it again. I liked the lessons, they were fun. It really helped me. I understand decimals much better now. I can now see why dividing decimals gives you a bigger number and multiplying them gives you a smaller number. The lessons really helped me see what I was doing!"


Math Mini-Courses {A+ Interactive Math Review}


Caleb has already finished his 2nd grade math for the year. But he did not do as well as I wanted with analog clocks. He kind of had the same idea that his older brothers had - that he could just wear a digital watch! But I still want him to comprehend and be able to read an analog clock if and when he needs to! ;)

The Time course had 20 lessons to go through, as well. It started out with days of the week, calendar skills, and units of time. It broke each piece down so he could absorb it all and retain it. He hasn't finished all the lessons yet, but he has really enjoyed it. Here's what Caleb thought of the lessons:

"I really like this mini course. I didn't like to read old timey clocks before this, but now I like to look at them and figure it out. My Meemaw and Papa have a big tall clock at their house, and I can read it now without their help!"

I don't know if the boys will have struggles like these again, but I am very glad to have a program like A Plus to turn to if they do. If you know your child is not getting a math concept, I urge you to check out A+ Interactive Math Mini-Courses!

You can keep up with A+ on these social media outlets: 

To hear about more of A Plus's Math Mini-Courses, check out some of my fellow bloggers' reviews here:


Math Mini-Courses {A+ Interactive Math Review}


Crew Disclaimer

1 comment:

  1. Glad these courses are helping them--this mastery teaching--a concept I firmly believe is the best way to progress!

    ReplyDelete