Thursday, February 9, 2012

Doomsday Preppers: What's your take?








So the husband has a new favorite tv show - "Doomsday Preppers" on NatGeo channel. Oh, my, what on earth??? I mean, I have a lot of friends who believe and practice preparedness. But these people are on a whole different level!

I have always believed in keeping a well-stocked pantry. I want our children to have the skills to hunt, garden, and live off the land. I want them able to defend themselves and our family (we enjoy martial arts, gun safety and training, boy/girl scouts). But some of these people really have me wondering...

We took a trip to Surplus City today, one of the hubby's favorite stores. He "SAID" we were looking for paintball gear, but the next thing I know, he's talking about making "Bugout bags" for each of the kids for Christmas! wow...

I love that he is such a protective husband and dad. I respect his views on these kinds of things as well. But I sometimes think that people take it a little too far. Aren't we, as Christians, supposed to put other's needs before our own? And aren't we to depend on God to supply our needs and to trust Him in all things? I am not saying we shouldn't be prepared for a natural disaster or anything. But I feel very uncomfortable with the idea of teaching my kids to fend for themselves first - to the point of neglecting someone who has needs the same as or greater than our own. How does that match up to the teachings of our Savior?


Bomb shelters - I think I know what's on DH's wish list...






These people made their HOUSE out of traincars, then shot at it so as to see how secure it was...



I know I overthink things. It's one of my worst flaws. I know some of these people on this show have legitimate concerns...others are truly wackjobs. Regardless of their reasoning, they are all showing us that we may not be ready for the worst. But I'm wondering, how do some of you feel about this show? Where is the line between teaching preparedness and encouraging self-preservation to the detriment of others? And how do we balance these things with our Christian worldview? Is it even possible?

No comments:

Post a Comment