Monday, September 7, 2015

My Baby Boy...

I remember the day so clearly, it is hard to wrap my brain around the fact that it was fourteen years ago. I was tired. I was irritable. I had decided I was done. No, really. DONE. My little man was a week overdue, and I couldn't see my feet. I had dealt with nausea and vomiting for 9 months - practically every day - and the swelling began 3 months in. I was so excited to meet him, but really, it was just about being done with the pregnancy that day.

My boss, Cindy, was a great gal. She was fun, smart, supportive, a career mom, but happy for me to want and be able to stay home. I went to her office at lunch and told her I thought I would just start my maternity leave the next day. For all intents and purposes, I shouldn't really be there at that point anyway, since I was a week overdue. I figured she'd completely understand, give me a hug, and I'd be on my way.



"Yes, Ammy. No."


I didn't know what had just happened. She went on to explain that they couldn't get anyone to cover for me. The bank was shorthanded and there really weren't any good applicants to replace me. I guess that should have made me feel better, but in my emotionally fragile state, all I heard was I was still pregnant, and I had to keep working. Indefinitely. Possibly forever. (Dramatic, much? Oh, yeah.)

Well, I went home that evening so upset. I cried and I cried. I told Kelly it wasn't fair. My body hurt. My head hurt. I looked terrible. I didn't want to do this anymore. I couldn't get comfortable, and I didn't know what to do. He kissed my head and sent me to rest. He really couldn't have done any more than that. I was inconsolable.

A few hours later, I woke up I decided to take a shower. Within a few minutes, the contractions began. They came and went for a little bit, then really got going. I woke Kelly, we headed to triage. He decided now would be a great time to fill up the truck...I was a little frustrated with him at this point!

When we got to triage, they decided fairly quickly to admit me. My first call...was to Cindy!! I was NOT going to be at work in a few hours! LOL! She just laughed and said she'd come check on me that evening...then she said, "Oh, and you're welcome!" I was confused, then she said, "A good cry is a great way to get labor started! You were so mad at me, I knew you'd go into labor tonight!" I just laughed and said she was right!

There is so much more to this story. How I was determined to have no pain meds. How I fell asleep AFTER the pain meds and Kelly left for lunch. (Another frustrating moment!) How I could hear Ariel and Jackie and Niki bickering and pushing to hear at the door, making me giggle mid push. How if I ate one more ice chip, I'd become an ice chip. So many memories.

About 18 hours later, my beautiful baby boy was placed into my arms. We had a BUNCH of people there - Mom, Ariel, Aunt Trudi, Jackie, Phoebe, Niki, and many more. But Kelly locked the door and wouldn't let anyone in for a while. He got on the bed right beside me and we just took him in. We were so enamored from the get go. This little guy, Robert Connor Quinn, had come in his own time, in his own way. No amount of planning or preparedness had gone how we expected. And so it has been from then on out. Connor has his own way of doing things, and he is not to be swayed by anyone's timetable.

Connor was a natural born leader from the time he learned to walk. He is analytical, inventive, courageous. His enthusiasm for a project will have his brothers lining up to be his workmen as easily as if he were the pied piper. He has unlimited ideas and strength to see many of them through. He amazed us from the beginning, and he continues to amaze us today. I can't tell you how much I love this boy - young man. Fourteen years have truly gone by in a flash. I love the depth of our conversations at times. I am in awe of his convictions. I am thankful for his determination. More than anything, I am proud to be his Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment