Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Hollywood - GRRR!!!

Okay, so one of the biggest things my kiddos have been looking forward to all summer - aside from our vacation to SD, swimming lessons and VBS - is going to see the new Transformers movie. I admit, I really liked the first one and have looked forward to this sequel nearly as much as they have. Well, now some of our friends have seen it, and I checked Focus on the Family's review, and I'm having second thoughts on taking them.
Why does Hollywood do this to us? The kids see advertisements of the safe parts all summer long. The toys are literally clogging the local Wal Mart aisles. But now, come to find out, they shouldn't have gotten away with the PG-13 rating - it should have been more like R! Sexual content abounding, violence (but I expected that) and cursing seem second nature to these characters. Why do they take a child's play thing and warp it into this?? Don't they understand that a family can enjoy a movie without seeing college kids have sex? Yes, even appreciate it NOT being in a FAMILY movie?? Hollywood, GRRRR!!!!!
I am very upset about this. Connor has talked nonstop about seeing Transformers. I want to make the right decision, but am afraid I'll be "outranked" by Daddy - who, btw, has been excited to see it, as well.
How are we supposed to protect our children when we innocently step foot into a theater expecting a family movie and get this garbage? Do we walk out? But what's the point? Hollywood already has our money, thus believe that their movie is well done and well liked. They get our money, then think that's their go ahead to make more trash and file it under family movie. It's infuriating to me.
Think back to the last few years. How many movies have you gone to see with or rented for your kids? Now how many of those slipped in a shock factor moment? I honestly can't think of any movies who haven't snuck in adult content into a family film except for The Chronicles of Narnia. And if I had to sit down and dissect it, I'd probably find something there, too. After all, we know Disney is not what it used to be.
I still don't know what I'll do about this. Like I said, I get outranked by Daddy sometimes. But I don't see why Hollywood should keep getting away with this. It's we who are responsible for our children's minds. God entrusts us to protect them and preserve their innocence. So why do we keep giving in? I don't know. I know I do all too often, and then regret it later. And this time I'll be doing it with my eyes wide open.

1 comment:

  1. I just read all about your kids on the bottom of your blog! I wish we lived closer! I think our kids would be great friends and we could swap Sonlight stuff:)
    Love you and miss you, my dear friend!
    I have two blogs: one is called Tibbetts Family Online. My other blog I write more about homeschooling/homemaking/ministry etc...

    ReplyDelete