Sunday, July 26, 2015

Family Reunion

It's been too long...far too long. This used to be a regular occurrence. We'd gather together nearly every weekend as kids. Their house was as much home to me as our house, and vice versa. I have 2 sisters, but growing up, I felt like I had 4 sisters and a brother - then later at when I was 10 and Zack was born, another brother. We did everything together, and I never expected things to be different when we grew up. I knew my kids would have all these aunts and uncles and never not know their huge family.

But time and circumstances happen. Lives and schedules, and other things that are even more unexplainable change things. My kids have heard many stories, know I had cousins I was super close to. But only the oldest of mine actually remember a time when they were around and a regular part of our lives. It has seemed so sad to me. But for the first time in who knows how long, we all came together this weekend. For these two.


These are my beautiful nieces. My oldest sister's girls. They have been away from the family for nearly 8 years. It has been so hard to not have them with us for all this time, but what a joy it's been to see them. I am so very thankful for this past weekend and for this coming week. Ten days is just not enough time...but I will savor every second I have.

I can't even explain what it's been like to watch them the past couple days. I see things in them that surprise me. Pieces of me, my sisters. Personality traits that you'd think were nature over nurture, but the time apart completely bashes that theory. They are so like us. They are ours. They are beautiful and smart and funny and sassy. I am loving to get to know them all over again. 

Not only did we all come together for them, but for ourselves as well. As I said, we all knew it had been too long, and we aim to make up for lost time. I pray it continues. I will try not to be disappointed if it doesn't. But I am looking forward, hopeful. I love my family. All of them.

  


 



 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment